Welcome!

I hope this blog will help people give and get ideas about quilting or any other stitching you're doing. I've been inspired by so many things on the web, I hope this becomes one of those things for someone.



Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Longarm Sampler

So I heard about using Crayola Washable Markers to mark up a quilt, from Turbo Quilter. I love her stitching and I say where she wrote that she uses thes markers to draw on the quilt and then washes it out.  I'm still very new at using my longarm and quilting in general, so I thought this method might be for me.  I went to Joann Fabric and got a bunch of muslin and some cheap batting. I drew all over the quilt with every different color marker in the box as well as the washable marker from the quilting notions section.  While I was drawing on the quilt I did make some mistakes, so I did as Turbo Quilter suggested and sprayed the offending spot with water. Unfortunately this did not work well on the Crayola markers but was suprisingly effective on the quilting marker.  I tried my best to follow the lines, granted I didn't always, but I was very pleased with the results. Even though the Crayola markers didn't come out with a spritz, every color came completely out with washing.  The quilting and drawing process took me 3 days total before I got the quilt into the washer.  I don't know if it would be harder to get the markers out after a longer period of time.  I just need to get a little better on my tracing capabilites before I put this on one that I'm going to give away! Here's the picture, I wasn't with it enough to take a picture with the quilt all marked up before the stitching, but here's before washing and after washing.
This is the front before going in the washer, you can see the part on the quilt where I tried to spritz out the red marker, all it did was bleed.

Here it is fresh out of the washer, absolutely no marks at all!! Lovely!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is very nice! Thanks for the do's and don'ts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, GOOD, you scared me for a second there! Yes, I forgot to mention, spritzing actually turns into giving it a real soak to get the color out. I've done that before (really soak an area, and let dry for a couple hours before re-marking) Plus Red is harder to get out. GLAD it worked for you.

    ReplyDelete